Introducing Shana Carter of Shana C. Carter Photography, LLC who is a guest instructor inside the Summerana Membership this month! We are lucky that not only do we get to watch her edit from start to finish showing us all of her editing secrets, but we also got to sit her down for an interview!
Shana Carter is an award-winning, on-location, natural light photographer specializing in portraiture for children, seniors, and families. She is located two hours east of Dallas, Texas. Shana has also been an elementary teacher for 20 years and her passion for teaching carries over into photography. Here are 30 questions we asked:
1. How long have you been in business? 8 years
2. What do you photograph? Families, high school seniors & children
3. Which is your favorite subject to photograph? Children 6-12 years old
4. What camera do you shoot with currently? Sony a7iii
5. What is your favorite lens? Sigma Art 135mm
6. Mac or PC? MAC!
7. Desktop or laptop? Desktop
8. Favorite camera strap? Cross body strap by Black Rapid
9. Favorite camera bag? I have several camera bags but I’ve yet to find my favorite. I’m still searching!
10. Preferred brand of memory card? Hoodman. More costly but definitely worth it for peace of mind.
11. Photoshop or Lightroom? Photoshop
12. Which do you enjoy more, shooting or editing? Editing
13. Photoshop actions and Lightroom presets or hand editing? Hand editing
14. What do you watch/listen to while shooting? Podcasts
15. Favorite podcast? Gold Digger by Jenna Kutcher and The Tog Republic Podcast by Carolina Guzik
16. Which photography studio management software do you use? 17Hats
17. Must-have software for your business? StickyAlbums – I send one to every client and they love them. Plus, it’s great advertising for my business.
18. Facebook or Instagram? Instagram
19. Favorite photography app? Unfold for creating Instagram stories
20. Favorite facebook groups? Summerana’s Photography Tribe, of course! Also IPS Mastermind, & Senior Year Magazine
21. Favorite time of year to shoot? Spring
22. For shoots, do you prefer it to be sunny or cloudy? Sunny
23. Favorite time of day to shoot? Golden hour
24. Favorite type of lighting? Backlighting
25. What do you wear to shoots? Jeans and t-shirt monogrammed with my business name
26. Do you still get nervous before a session? Yes – not as much as I used to but, yes, I still get nervous.
27. Favorite designers? Little Dreamers Tutus & Bentley and Lace
28. All-Inclusive or In-person sales? In-person sales
29. Favorite product? Framed canvases from Guild canvas
30. How often does your own family have family portraits made? Usually once a year
Watch me edit:
Want to watch me edit this image in Lightroom and Photoshop from start to finish? It’s available to watch in the Summerana Membership here until May 9th, 2019!
In this editing tutorial, Summerana guest instructor Shana Carter of Shana C. Carter Photography shows you her step-by-step process for creating a gorgeous fine art portrait edit in Lightroom and Photoshop.
You’ll learn how to create a dreamy soft background, how to correct and underexposed image, fix neon green grass, how to create light beams and add sun flares, how to fix frizzy hair and flyaways, reshape hair and dresses, how to remove distractions, how to make your subject pop against your background, how to change the color of your subject’s dress and lip color, edit skin, fix torn prop fabric, fix dark under eye circles and add more light to eyes, dodge and burn, sharpening, and more… all through hand editing and using Summerana’s Photoshop actions!
This article was featured in Summerana’s Magazine – The Floral Issue. See the full issue here